BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 14, 2010

On The Fringe Of Science...

A few weeks ago, a great tragedy befell the world of television; Lost ended after a run of six seasons. Being a great fan of Lost, I undertook a customary mourning period, and now I am back in the game, and ready to find a new tv obsession. But, what to watch? I enjoy comedies such as The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, but they are nowhere near as absorbing as show which demonstrates real character development. As much as I love Sheldon, Penny, Barney and the others, it's just not the same kind of love that I feel for Sawyer, Charlie and the rest of the Losties. As for CSI/NCIS/Law & Order, and the various other criminal-type, acronym-using shows, they fail to interest me for more than one or two episodes. I guess I could try Grey's Anatomy, but do I really have the energy to start a show that already has six seasons out? No, I do not. So I turned to Fringe. Created by JJ Abrams, I decided that it could be no less than brilliant in concept, if nothing else.
After watching the first episode of Fringe, I was able to make several deductions:
1) JJ Abrams has an obsession with planes. Also, the number 108 was slipped into conversation, but that may have been an actual nod to Lost.
2) Michael Giacchino has a very distinctive musical style. I smiled to myself everytime theme music started to play in the background (hey, I am not Lost obsessed, I am just observant).
3) Fringe is nothing like Heroes, as I had originally thought it might be. If I had to compare it to another show, I would chose the X-Files.
I am trying to stop myself fom scoffing when words such as "re-animation" and "mind-control" are usesd, and remind myself that I had no problem with Heroes making use of similar concepts (although I did, at first, have a huge problem with Lost's use of time travel). Fringe seems like a good show so far, I will continue to watch it. I am trying to keep an open mind, and not to hate it as I did Jericho simply because it had replaced Heroes.

0 comments: